It Happened At The Piano
One afternoon I was practicing a difficult section of Beethoven’s Sonata (Op. 110). I tried all the practice tricks but could not master it. Frustrated, I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I thought about all the pianists I admired who recorded this sonata, and this flashed in my Consciousness: SKILL IS UNLIMITED. SKILL IS INFINITE. SKILL IS UNIVERSAL.
Then came further insight. THERE’S ONLY ONE DOER – GOD. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A PERSONAL DOER. YOU ARE NOT A PERSONAL DOER.
All of this happened in half a heartbeat. When I went back to the piano, I nailed that section – but not as a personal doer. And that day I learned what is necessary to master any skill.
Michael Jordan and Julia Child
While we’re on the subject of skill mastery, I remember when teenage boys watched Michael Jordan’s dazzling skills on the basketball court. He was Superman. No one, it was believed, could match his skills. The same with culinary superstar, Julia Child. Both professional and home cooks knew they were watching a master. Her skills seemed matchless. But, were they?
Reader, I’m asking you a few questions. Was Michael Jordan’s skill a personal skill? How about Julia Child’s? One last question. How about your skill – is it personal or not? You’ve probably worked at it (whatever the skill is) and became quite good at it. But, is it personal? I hope not.
Personal skill, by its very illusory nature, is limited skill. You want no part of it. Skill is universal. Skill is impersonal. It never belonged to Michael Jordan. God was (and is) the doer. It’s the same with your skill. It’s not personal. God is the doer and that’s why “your” skill is Infinite and Unlimited.
Christ Jesus is recorded in the Bible as saying that you and I can match his works, and do even greater works. How can that be? Because Christ knew he was not a personal doer – “I of myself can do nothing.” (John 5:30) Christ knew God to be the only doer; therefore the doing (skill) is as Infinite as the Doer.
Skill-Mastery Hints and Helps
Below are some infallible hints on how to do anything better.
- No matter how skilled you seem to be, give up the idea that you are a personal doer. This step is essential.
- Every now and then contemplate the Truth that Infinite Intelligence (God) is the only doer and always knows what to do and how to do it – without labor and practice. Do you see how this takes non-existent time out of the skill-mastery picture?
- Know yourself to be Infinite Intelligence in action.
- When you are in the midst of performing any skill, remind yourself that the Infinite, Infallible Intelligence of the Universe is doing this as you.
- Occasionally you will see (or hear) someone do something with skills that are beyond belief. Know that the One Universal Doer is the doer. Then ask yourself, “Isn’t this the same Doer that I AM?” After answering this question, draw your own conclusions about your unlimited ability.
Keep these ideas in mind and you will sizzle with excitement as you quickly master new skills and bypass the laborious, time-laden human way of skill acquisition. Watch how practice time shortens while you achieve greater results. Try it and let me know how it worked for you.